Thursday, May 15, 2014

Half Bad by Sally Green







Half Bad by Sally Green





I have conflicting feelings about this book so let's start with the bad and get it over with.

Bad: I understand the literary choice of writing first person and that this first person isn't very educated but the halting short sentence narrative drove me bananas. I nearly stopped reading. The story is a bit slow and is mostly important for background information on Nathan our horribly abused protagonist. And worst of all, it's yet another trilogy.

But... 

Good: It's a good story. I think it might be one of the few trilogies where the second book might be more enjoyable than the first. Nathan has an indomitable will to survive, couple that with the ability to heal quickly and it makes for some pretty awful scenes of brutality which are well written and don't feel gratuitous. There are some pretty interesting characters, my favorite is Celia. She's fascinating. You want to learn about the motivations behind these characters behaviors. 

Like I said, it's a good story; one you will want to finish. And you will HATE waiting for the next installment.

Lola Snyder, MLS
Head of Youth Services

No comments:

Post a Comment