Tuesday, December 4, 2012

"My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business" by Dick Van Dyke

I don't normally read biographies (if I ever have!), but being a fan of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and looking for a new audiobook, I recently listened to My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business by Dick Van Dyke.  I enjoyed the audiobook version because it was narrated by Dick Van Dyke himself.  Being both the author and the narrator, he could read the book with whatever feeling he wanted.  With that and his recognizable voice, listening to his autobiography was like listening to him just sitting down and talking about his life.  The book itself described Dick Van Dyke's life from before he was in show business up until he wrote the book, which was about 2010 or 2011.  In that time span, you get to hear funny anecdotes from his personal and professional lives.  Entertainment buffs will appreciate the name-dropping, ranging from personal stories about Stan Laurel and Buster Keaton to mentions of Carl Reiner, Debbie Reynolds, Ben Stiller, and more.  In short, I enjoyed the book as narrated by the author and may be tempted to add some more biographies to my reading wish list!

No comments:

Post a Comment